Congratulations, Class of 2020!
With their high school years now officially behind them, each Scholar in our inaugural class is looking forward to an exciting future in college. Since the Santa Barbara community has been critical to their success, we would like to take this opportunity to provide a glimpse of their plans for the future.
- Kathy, who received the Bill & Melinda Gates Scholarship, will major in mechanical engineering at USC.
- Fhernanda plans to double major in business and psychology at USC.
- Two Scholars will pursue a Bachelor of Science in Nursing: Susie will attend Cal State University Channel Islands and Vanessa will attend Azusa Pacific University.
- Jennifer will study sociology at the University of Redlands.
- Jasmin and Jacky will attend Sonoma State University and major in business.
- Esme will attend Mills College and major in politics.
- Christian will study computer science and business at UC Berkeley.
- Johan will study electrical engineering and physics at UC Irvine.
Paying for College:
In addition to the impressive college admissions results for our inaugural class, we have exciting information to share on the financial front.
As you know, the cost of a four-year college experience can often be prohibitive for families with limited financial means. To address this, we worked extensively with each of our Scholars, helping them submit financial-aid forms, apply for scholarships, and budget their four-year college costs. As a result, we are proud to report that 82% of our Scholars’ four-year cost of attendance will be covered without the need for student loans.
In total, every $7,500 contributed by our donors yielded more than $150,000 in scholarship value. That’s a 20X return for your investment in Mission Scholars.
We hope you are as thrilled about their future as we are. Without your help and generosity, so much of this would not have been possible.
Cassie, Kim, and Katie