Mission Scholars College Coaching Program
“Nationwide, the dropout rate for first-generation college students is scandalous. Only 1 in 9 actually finishes college.” -Michael Lewis
In response to the alarming statistic that only 1 in 9 first-generation college students actually graduates from college, Mission Scholars has built a College Coaching Program for graduates to support them throughout all four years of college. This is an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of creating a positive impact in the lives of local, low-income, high-performing students as they transition to college.
Volunteer to impact a student’s future with just a few hours per month.
Support Mission Scholars college students in achieving their goal of college graduation through one-on-one coaching and support via phone, email, text, and other technological platforms. Tasks include:
• Working with students one-on-one virtually to address their individual needs for achieving college graduation, including troubleshooting problems that arise, connecting the student with on-campus resources, and advocating for their success.
• Setting up virtual meetings with your assigned student at least once a month in order to build a relationship, establish trust, and advise them as they transition to college.
• Helping students navigate the transition to college (including socially, academically, and emotionally).
• Supporting students in renewing scholarship applications and applying for new scholarships each year of college
• Participating in volunteer trainings with the Mission Scholars team
• Documenting student interactions in Google drive spreadsheet and sharing a
report/update with Mission Scholars staff each quarter
• Coaches will receive a monthly newsletter, resources, and continued support from
Mission Scholars staff for the entirety of their volunteer commitment.
Interested in being a College Coach with Mission Scholars? To qualify, Coaches must:
• Hold a Bachelor’s degree
• Complete our sequence of volunteer coaching workshops
• Pass a criminal background check
• Commit to supporting 1 student throughout all 4 years of university, averaging 4
total hours a month
• Be willing and ready to advocate for students as they transition to college
Please fill out our volunteer form if you’re interested. Thank you!