“Nationwide, the dropout rate for first-generation college students is scandalous. Only 1 in 9 actually finishes college.” – Michael Lewis
We need your help. Our Class of 2020 Scholars are heading off to college this fall, and your support will be critical to their success. Our volunteer College Coaching Program is an exciting opportunity to make a positive impact on each of our Scholars as they transition to college.
Research shows that college coaching programs significantly increase the college graduation rate of low-income students across the nation. As a Mission Scholars College Coach, you will provide valuable, holistic support to our Scholars through your engaged commitment, advocacy, and positive influence in their lives.
CALLING ALL COACHES!
Are you interested in impacting the future of a Mission Scholar and increasing their chances at success with just a few hours per month?
- Support a Mission Scholars college student in achieving his/her goal of college graduation through one-on-one coaching.
- Work with students to address their individual needs, including serving as the point person for barriers and problems that arise, connecting the student with on-campus resources, and advocating for their success.
- Set up meetings with your assigned student at least once a month in order to build a relationship, establish trust, and advise them as they transition to college.
- Participate in training with Mission Scholars staff so you feel supported and prepared in your role as a college coach.
- No prior college coaching experience is required! Ideal coaches would be members of our community who are passionate about supporting low-income students and who are ready to serve as an advocate for the students.
Interested in volunteering?
To get to know the Mission Scholars Class of 2020 better, and to learn where they are going to college, watch this 6 minute video.
Our work is just beginning. We hope you will join us!
The Mission Scholars Team
Cassie Lancaster, Katie Kinsella and Kim Phillips